Sunday, October 20, 2013

We Are in a Book!

For my book talk, I chose We Are in a Book! by Mo Willems. It is part of the Elephant and Piggie series and was published in 2010. In this book, the two main characters, Elephant and Piggie, discover that they are being read by a reader. The whole book is a dialogue between Elephant and Piggie. Throughout the book, they even make the reader read aloud words. I chose this book because I loved it as soon as I read it in our library at Rider. When I went into the field, I noticed that this book was a favorite of my kindergarteners. When my kindergartners had library, they all rushed to the Elephant and Piggie series to check them out. I like this books because it is a one of the most unique childrens' book I have read and it is humorous. Not only is a lighthearted book, but it shows the readers the structure of a book through Elephant and Piggie's dialogue. It is done in a fun way that the children do not even realize it. This book shows the reader where the page numbers are in the book, how the reader is reading Elephant and Piggie's dialogue through word bubbles, and how the book has an ending. Lastly, this book encourages the children to want to read this book again because at the end of the story, Elephant and Piggie ask the reader "Will you please read us again?"

No comments:

Post a Comment